Thursday, November 11, 2010

Beds Beds Beds

John and I celebrate our 2 year wedding anniversary on this upcoming Monday, the 15th of November. I can't believe that it's already been 2 years since we got married!! Time sure does fly!!
Last year, we took a long weekend up in the mountains of North Carolina and had the best time. It's not often that we get to escape just the two of us, and I definitely like having my husband's undivided attention!

So, this year we were wondering, what to do?, what to do?..... We spoke of gifts. I absolutely love some jewelry and trips, but I mentioned the idea of since we are still acquiring all of our new, really nice things, around the house still, that we should purchase some new furniture! Currently we have a Queen size bed, which was fine when it was just a Queen sleeping in it, but now that I married a King, we must get a bed that is just as well!
In other words, 'we've been married for 2 years, honey, now it's time for you to scoot on over in the bed!' John loves be right next to me in the bed, and I kinda like the edge (when I'm not being pushed off of it). And everytime that we stay in a hotel, we always get a King size bed. I love it! We love it! We sleep so good and soundly!!! So, we are in the market for a new bed! But never, never, never did I think that we would have this hard of a time picking something out! (Not the mattress, there we are all the way- SOFT!, but the actual Bed!)

I learned a long time ago that I needed to find a couple of 'inspiration' pictures of rooms that I just loved, keep them in a file, and use them later when redoing a room. Well, you'd be surprised when doing this, (and it makes it so much easier) to see what is similar in all the pictures you love (i.e.: All white bedding, dark dressers, lots of windows, a certain type of floor, etc,etc, etc....)

So, I showed John my file of 'I love you Bedrooms' and he really liked some of them. When I went back & asked, "Honey, what exactly did you really like in this picture? The bed? The windows? The nightstands?" He says, "Oh, I don't care about any of that, the bed just looked really soft and comfortable, and that's all I'm really interested in. Pick whatever, just as long as it's a soft and comfy bed, then I'm happy...." And hearing that makes me OH SO HAPPY!
(I don't know what I'd do if I had a husband that was as into as designing and decorating as I am! I love that these little things don't matter that much to him, but they do to me! We definitely even each other out!)

So, I'm drawn to Upholstered headboards. I've been wanting one for our bedroom since I was in college. I just love the soft look to them, plus my taste is Classic Traditional with some French Country in there (not in a roosters or toile way, people, but in a rustic, mountain lodge, exposed beams, linen, burlapy kind of way....)


Love Love Love this bed from Restoration Hardware

Plus I love benches at the end of a bed instead of a footboard. I loathe footboards! (actually my legs do, since I always turn a little too early to round the corner of the bed, and end up with a bruise the size of my palm on my thighs!)


Love the softness of this room! I'm all about some white bedding with accents being with pillows, throws, etc. And I love that this headboard is higher than usual to display the nailhead trim



This bed definitely has 'JOHN KING' written all over it. It would definitely be a compromise of the two of us: Upholstered Headboard for me, and leather for him, but I just don't looooove it.

I have had this picture saved in my file, and after looking at all the other ones next to it, I'm convinced that I have it saved for the windows in the back rather than the actual bed. I love windows and especially when they look like that and trimmed in that wood. So rustic yet refined!


Not liking this bed, but I thought I would throw out some other examples of different kinds of upholstered headboards out there:





This is totally NOT me, but cute and different


I just like this picture because it's different. The upholstery on the footboard is too far out there for me, but I'm liking the fabric hanging canopy around the 'headboard' along with the detail of hanging a mirror on the fabric as well. Would love this idea in a guest room!!!!
So, we will keep you posted on what we find/ pick!

No comments: