Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Recipe Monday

I'm really falling behind on blogging.... We have been packing up some stuff around here, and putting it in storage. Not anything huge, but some extra furniture that we aren't really using (like 2 of the 3 spare bedrooms) as well as all of our summer items, which I was kinda glad to see them boxed up. (I love Fall!) We took a huge load down to Columbia, and are working on the 2nd load. Next items to be packed up are: more spare furniture (I'm hoping some of it won't come back to our next house, aka college furnishings), those kitchen items that we don't ever use (waffle maker, panini press, fondue set, etc, etc....
And our entertaining stuff. John was SUPER happy when I told him that we weren't entertaining anymore in Nashville. (note, I never mentioned Columbia... :) ) So I am going through our entertaining closet. It's amazing how much entertaining stuff you collect, especially when you get married! We have about 15 vases, 4 cake stands, I bet 30 platters (seriously!), tons of casserole dishes, and I have counted, and we have close to 75 wine glasses.... Who needs 75 wine glasses, seriously? But I do beg to differ a tad bit...
You have those wine glasses that when you have a party, you whip them out, for if they break, no big deal.
Then we have those go-to, everyday wine glasses, that were a little more expensive.
Then the nicer ones that we pull out when we have a couple of friends over that we know won't drop them.
Then we have the ones that have been in the box since we received them for a wedding gift. The reallllllly nice ones. The $60+/stem ones. The ones that I'm even afraid to drink out of.
However, when I told Pops that we haven't even used ours yet (since those are the same kind that him & Phyllis drink out of everytime at their house), he had a good philosophy. (Now, this does come from a man that him & Phyllis use their nice platinum china stuff to drink coffee out of most of the time. When I gauked & said, "I can't believe you are drinking out of those! Aren't they super expensive?? Aren't you afraid you will break it!") He said, "Neelley, life's too short to "save" the nice stuff for special occasions. Everyday should be your special occasion. So what if you break one, the world isn't going to end because of it. Use your nice glasses everyday. Enjoy them, love them. " I just love that!
So as we are going through lots of our stuff and organizing, it's my mind set of, "Do I really enjoy this and love this? or is it just taking up space where something that I love could be there...?"
Which brings me to my recipe this week. This is a super easy recipe. It's perfect for parties and for tailgating. Can be made a day or so ahead of time, and will keep for a couple days after as well.. Everytime I make this and take it somewhere, I always get asked for the recipe! Make it, and serve it on your good serving dish! :) Enjoy it!
Neelley's Spicy Tortilla Roll-ups
1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
1 (3 oz) can chopped black olives
1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
1 (4 oz) jar diced pimento peppers, drained
2 green onions, minced
3 Tbsps hot pepper sauce, Tabasco
3 Tbsps chopped fresh cilantro
5 (10") flour tortillas (+/ - some)
Mix all ingredients except tortillas in a medium sized bowl. Spread mixture evenly over tortillas. Roll the tortillas up and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. After chilling, slice the roll ups and serve.
(I usually make the tortillas the night before and slice the next morning. I chill them after slicing too, and store in a tupperware container after slicing. Super easy.

No comments: