Monday, November 29, 2010

MIA

I have been totally MIA lately. The holidays sure do feel like John & I are campaigning for office or something because we make about 4 stops in different cities in one day, it seems. No, it's not that bad, but it's busy!
This year, we spaced everything out more and it worked so much more smoothly and gave us time to really visit and enjoy the days.
Our Thanksgiving started on the Sunday before Thanksgiving. We went down to Lawrenceburg to my Mom's mom's house. There were about 20+ people there and it was so great to see everyone. We haven't done holidays down at her house in awhile. We usually go to my aunt's house in Summertown since it's 1/2 way between Lawrenceburg & Columbia. But I can't tell you how great it was to be back in her house, to show John all of our secret hiding places we had when we were little, and very old pictures that she still had displayed. SO funny!



The night before Thanksgiving, we started a new tradition on my Dad's side. We go to his sister's house the night before, for a "Wine down to Thanksgiving" on Wednesday. There is lots of appetizers and food and LOTS and LOTS of wine. Gave us all time to visit without feeling rushed and relax!
T-day: We started off the day with going back down to Lawrenceburg for John's extended side of the family. There is 30 people there, I'd say, and it feels like chaos at first, but all works out. John's family doesn't do a huge extended side get together for Christmas, so Thanksgiving is HUGE over there!!
Then that night, we go to my Dad's house for a small gathering of just us for dinner. There is about 8 of us, and it gives us that chance of winding down & relaxing. Ahhhh
So, now on to CHRISTMAS!!!
John & I got our tree last night at the local Christmas tree place that lots of people go to in Columbia, The Satterwhites. They have such wonderful trees!

We have decided not to decorate our house in Nashville this year, so the tree was for the cabin. When I first met John, he told me that his parents didn't really "decorate" that much for Christmas. I was taken aback.... I grew up with over-the-top Christmas..... every year. But I have been impressed with the 'progress' that the Kings have made in decor for Christmas. We've gone from 'putting lights on the ficus tree, the 1st year' then onto Sherry purchasing small trees to put on the dining room table, and now, it's my turn to show how I do it! :)

We've got the tree up, garland all over the mantel, garland hanging over the top of a huge entry in the living room, garland going down the banisters, little trees out on the porch, and live wreaths on the doors! Ahhhh I love it!!! And I hope they do too! :) pics to come.
I know that I always say, 'pics to come' and have a bad follow through rep, but that is soon to end, because this comes in the mail tomorrow:

Yep! We purchased our camera! Can't wait to use it, and SO excited that it's coming just in time for the Christmas season!! We've been needing a camera for a wonderful 2 years!!!
We had a great one until one night we were at a friend's house for a dinner party, and the wine was flowing. We drank and drank and drank. Well, when it was time to go home, I saw that one of our bottles (a magnum) had only a glass or two out of it, so I put the cork back in it (as drunk as I was) and put it upright in my purse. It wasn't until we got home that night that I saw as I picked up my purse there was something dripping from the bottom.... Yep- the wine was flowing all right.... ALL IN MY PURSE. Ruined my phone, Ipod, & Camera.... The first 2 things got replaced and the camera was on hold since I wanted a reallllllllly nice one. So we've used my older sister's hand-me-down since then- Well, fast forward two years, and we've finally gotten it!
Putting up our Christmas tree last night brought back so many great memories of what my family used to do when I was a child. We would make a night out of it by going out to eat, then picking out our tree, then home to listen to Christmas music as Dad strung the lights on the tree, and mom made Homemade Hot Chocolate. We would drink the hot chocolate as we decorated the tree. Now, John & I decorate our tree with lots of the same ornaments that got passed down after we graduated from college and started putting up our own tree.
And even though John isn't that into Hot Chocolate, I find that he asks for 'a sip' and then 'why don't you get yourself a hot cup of fresh hot chocolate since this is cooling down a bit, and I'll just keep this one' usually follows.
The Parkes' Homemade Hot Chocolate
(same as what is on the side of the Hershey's Cocoa box)
1/2 cup sugar
dash of salt
1/4 cup Hershey's Cocoa
1/3 cup hot water
4 cups milk (1 qt)
1 tsp vanilla extract
In a medium saucepan, mix sugar, salt & cocoa together. Stir in water. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until it boils. Boil & stir for 2 minutes. Add milk, stirring constantly until hot (but NOT boiling)- Remove from heat & add vanilla. Stir for another minute and serve.
*NOTE- Make sure that you are stirring constantly. I've left it unattended for just a minute, and it's burned or scalded and it does not taste that great!
Note 2: Double this if you have more than 2 people.... Trust me, you will go through it!!!

No comments: