Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Belated Recipe Monday

We are still down at the farm enjoying this beautiful weather, so forgive me for not posting yesterday.
This past Saturday, John & I went to Columbia's Annual Chili Cookoff. I have gone just about every year since I was little, except for a couple of years while I was at UT, when there were home games on the same weekend. It's such a wonderful event with around 40+ or so competitors every year. They have a huge area for children with pony rides, a bounce house, arts and crafts, etc, etc. They have live bands and we enjoy it because lots of our friends and families that we've grown up with in Columbia always attend, so it's just one big party!
Wouldn't you know that I left my camera at the cabin and didn't get to get any pictures, but if I run across any, I will try to post them.
Most of the chili was tasty (try to go earlier in the day, because as the day goes on, the competitors drink more & more, and the chili isn't too yummy unless you've drank as much as they have....)So for this week's recipe, I'm posting my chili recipe. This is one of John's absolute favorite things that I make. Last week, I tripled this recipe and bought 8 Tupperware bowl containers to hold about 4 servings of chili per container and froze them. It's the perfect amount for just two people on a cold fall afternoon, without having to make a huge batch each time you have a craving...




Neelley's Fall Chili Recipe
2 pounds ground beef chuck
1 pound bulk Italian sausage, casings removed
3 (15 ounce) cans chili beans in Mild Sauce
1 (15 ounce) can chili beans in spicy sauce
1 (15 ounce) can Dark Red Kidney Beans, drained
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice with Basil, Oregano & Garlic
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes with juice
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste, infused with Basil, Oregano & Garlic
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
6 strips of cooked crispy bacon, chopped
4 cubes beef bouillon
1/2 can beer
1/4 cup chili powder
2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons Frank's Hot Sauce
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon white sugar

Brown ground beef & Italian Sausage. Drain excess grease. Add browned meat to large stock pot. Add remaining ingredients. Let simmer all day. (I usually put it on low and let it simmer overnight as well).

Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese, and Frito chips. Mmmmmmm

No comments: